Principal / Attorney at Law
Jessie earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science with High Honors from the University of Montana in 2005. She also attended law school at the University of Montana School of Law, where she earned her Juris Doctorate in 2008.
Jessie began her career in governmental affairs at Browning, Kaleczyc, Berry & Hoven, P.C. and joined Mark Taylor in creating the Taylor Luther Group in 2015. She has extensive experience in a wide variety of campaign finance, business, election, legislative and regulatory matters, and represents clients in front of the Montana Legislature, Montana administrative agencies and boards, and the Montana Courts. She is involved in professional trade organizations including the Montana State Bar Association and the National Association of State Lobbyists while also being involved her community through volunteer opportunities such as the State Basketball Games Management Team of the Montana Special Olympics.
In her free time, Jessie enjoys spending time at Flathead Lake, on the golf course, traveling, and in Glacier National Park near where she grew up.
Ms. Luther is a Montana native who came to Helena to practice law upon graduation from the University of Montana School of Law. She enjoys spending time in the Flathead Lake area, golfing, reading, and the other recreational opportunities Montana has to offer.
- Governmental Affairs
- Campaign Finance
- Business Transactions
Taylor Luther Group, P.L.L.C.
June 2015 – Present, Helena, Montana
Principal and Partner
Practice focused on governmental affairs, lobbying, and campaign finance. Responsibilities include strategizing to pass or defeat legislative proposals, drafting legislation, lobbying, advising clients on grassroots lobbying and issue advocacy, advising clients on political expenditures, and disclosure and reporting requirements. Entity formation and procurement counseling services also provided.
Browning, Kaleczyc, Berry & Hoven, P.C.
2008 – June 2015, Helena, Montana
Practiced primarily in the government affairs group, lobbying the state legislature. Significant practice in campaign finance, advising clients on compliance with state disclosure laws and representing clients in front of the Commissioner of Political Practices. Served as firm’s marketing director for approximately one year in additional to legal duties.
University of Montana Legal Counsel
2007 – 2008, Missoula, Montana
Responsibilities included legal research pertaining to public university systems, drafting legal memoranda, drafting agreements, and drafting university policies.
Dorsey & Whitney, LLP
2006 – 2008, Missoula, Montana
Responsibilities included legal research pertaining to public finance and local government issues, drafting legal memoranda, drafting agreements, and drafting bond resolutions.
Juris Doctorate, 2008
University of Montana School of Law, Missoula, Montana
Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, high honors, 2005
University of Montana, Missoula, Montana
Admissions to Practice
State of Montana
United States District Court for the District of Montana
Montana Bar Association
Montana Society of Association Executives
Montana Chamber of Commerce
Montana Taxpayers Association
National Association of State Lobbyists
Montana Recycling Association, Board Member
Recycle Montana, former Board Member
Holter Museum of Art, former Board Member
Special Olympics Montana, State Basketball Games Management Team
- Worked with multiple other parties to successfully amend the federal highway bill to provide parity for 24/7 Sobriety Programs with ignition interlock devices in the penalty transfer section and to provide new grant opportunities to support 24/7 Programs.
- Working with several parties, assisted in drafting and enacting legislation creating the 24/7 Sobriety Program or 24/7 Pilot Programs in six states.
- In conjunction with several interested parties and groups, assisted in drafting, lobbying, and passing a bill to expand Medicaid in the state legislature.
- Grassroots advising clients on state and federal issue advocacy.
- Advise multiple clients and political action committees regarding compliance with political committee creation and activities, campaign finance disclosure, and reporting requirements.
- Advise multiple clients on procurement issues, in both sole source and competitive bidding for government contracts.
- Advise and assist clients in setting up business and nonprofit entities.
- Complaint against state legislator successfully dismissed before the Commissioner of Political Practices.
- Represented ballot initiative campaign in initiative approval process and advised campaign on compliance with state campaign finance and signature gathering laws. Initiative withdrew for unrelated reasons prior to qualifying for the ballot.
- As co-counsel, represented retired employee group in successfully restoring retired public employees’ 3% guaranteed annual benefit adjustment (GABA) on their pensions. This case was litigated in the First Judicial District, Lewis and Clark County.
- As co-counsel, drafted successful constitutional ballot initiative, advised campaign on initiative approval process, and advised campaign on compliance with state campaign finance and signature gathering laws.
- Achieved positive results in representing clients before the Montana Public Employee Retirement Board.
- Drafted and successfully enacted legislation authorizing the creation of air ambulance membership programs in Montana.
- In conjunction with the Attorney General’s Office and other interested parties, successfully enacted legislation authorizing the creation of the 24/7 Sobriety Program to reduce drunken driving related offenses.
- Drafted and successfully enacted legislation making Montana’s bad check fee statute uniform with all other states.
- In conjunction with several interested parties, defeated multiple pieces of legislation aimed at limiting employers’ rights to review potential employee credit information.
- Successfully lobbied the enactment of legislation providing retirees increased tax relief on pension income.
- In conjunction with several interested parties, defeated multiple pieces of legislation that would have negatively impacted public employee retirement plans and benefits.
- Successfully enacted multiple pieces of public safety legislation, including Blue Alert and the Children’s Primary Seatbelt law.